CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Did I forget my birthday?

28! Yes, last Wednesday, April 29, Josh Carpenter had a birthday. I actually made a post on that day and didn't mention it. I actually had forgotten that it was my birthday. I could never have imagined forgetting my birthday 15 or 20 years ago! Maybe it is old age setting in. Nah, it really isn't as bad as it sounds because there is still one day a year where I get to CELEBRATE! We always celebrate the date of my liver transplant, or transplantiversary if you will, on March 26 of each year. That day holds a lot more weight in my life and my families life than my actual birthday.

On to the birthday that officially adds another year to my life...

I never thought that getting close to 30 would bother me; I figured 40 would be that molehill that I turned into a mountain. The funny thing is that I never thought about it until a few months ago when I got my invitation to my 10 YEAR CLASS REUNION! Has it really been that long since I got out of high school? Why do I still feel 18 most of the time? I remember making fun of people who were going to their 10 year reunion just a couple of years ago! That was a hard pill to swallow, but I got over it.

Then on Tuesday, April 28, I go to the DMV for my 4 year appointment to get my license renewed. I am thinking as I walk in that I can't believe this is the third time I have had to renew my license and the next time I come in I will be 32. Not a big deal, 32 is still young! Little did I know....they now renew license for either 5 years or 10 years. The lady behind the desk says, "5 or 10?" I check out the prices like a nerd to see which is the best deal and decide I will take the 10 year license. I walk over to wait for them to be printed out and I am thinking.....this is cool....I don't have to come back to this place for 10 years!

At that very moment it hits me...when I get my license renewed again I will be 38...thirty-eight...that is 2 years from 40! Two short years...730 days until I turn 40! That is the age that we gave Dad his first old man party. Somehow that digressed into 30 is old and I spent the next 3 or 4 minutes thinking that I am getting old. (The joy of ADD is that after 5 or so minutes a good song comes on and you are singing, beating the steering wheel, and looking like a fool going down the interstate. It does have its upside!)

The point of the story is that for a few minutes I panicked about getting close to 30, so maybe 30 will be a big deal. I am not sure anymore about anything.

I do know that I am happy to be turning 28 and healthy. I am blessed beyond measure. I am excited about the future and can't wait to see what it may hold for me. I am thrilled to be doing God's work and following his direction in my life.

I am thankful for Godly friends who will stand by me, and encourage me to continue in "The Good Fight". Hopefully, I will be the same encouragement to them.

1 Corinthians 10:31-33
31Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.32Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:33Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

2 comments:

Mylerna said...

10 Years came quick - didn't it? I mean wow! You coming to the reunion?

Lisa Dale
lgdale@gmail.com
www.mylerna.com

Dawn said...

Happy belated birthday and transplantiversary, Josh. I know you still have a couple of years to go, but I think the 30s are the best decade yet -- way, way better than the 20s. Lots to look forward to!

Glad to hear you are still doing well!